What is a risk register?
Risk register is a document or template that identified potential setbacks or risks related to the project you are working in. Pre identification of risk and possible setbacks is key factor in project management that increases the importance of risk register document.
Looking for risk register template for project management?
In this article, you can download project related risk management template relates to financial operational and business.
Risk Register in Project Management
Project Management is not as easy as it sounds. when you start work in any project first you need to identify potential risks for example during work breakdown structure you can identify risks in every stage. To attain the results, the team goes under several processes. Doing all the management homework on the paper is a tough ask.
- Risk register format example in IT and construction
- MS Excel 2007 to 2020
- Liquidity Risk & Reputation risk management register
- Download in XLS format & compatible to MAC
As everything is evolving so fast in the world, there are advancements in the method of project management as well. For this purpose different templates are introduced to get a firm grip on your project like Agile project management template
Get Also: Project Management Plan Template PMBOK
Project Management Risk Register Template (EXCEL FEATURES)
One such tool is the risk register template which keeps your projects on track. just like financial planning in project management, It helps you to stay updated about the potential risks that can take place. It can make any project a success as a risk register can be used in the initial planning stages of a project. And having a grip in the beginning definitely leads a project on the right road.
Following are some main features of Risk Register template:
- Risk description
- Possible impact
- Risk level
- Risk Owner
Importance of Risk Register Template
Whenever an individual or team starts working on a project, there are several brainstorming sessions done regarding Project implementation plan, project expanse tracking and a few risks are identified which can be recorded in the risk register template. you need to track all these risks though out project life cycle and It will keep updating you about the barriers you may face.
Get Also: Ultimate Dashboard KPI Template
Risk Register matrix is a very power full tool to identify the probability of risk specially those risk that can not be measured with exact numbers. it divides the risk in different categories depending on their impact and allows you to see the big picture of risk and issues and helps in decision making. Risk matrix is one of the main subject of the Project Risk Register Template.
Download: Project Portfolio Dashboard Template
Types of Risk Register Template Examples
Knowing the hurdles beforehand will help you to look for better solutions or different frame of work to run a project smoothly. Risk Register Template leads you toward a solution-oriented approach.
Get Also: Inventory Management Template
Risk Register Template Construction
Managing tasks and performance is much easier than management of risks in the case of a construction project. Switching duties in a team task according to personal outcomes is more convenient but taking risk into account puts much pressure on the team. Bringing risks down to zero is quite inevitable but being prepared for them will help you to withstand troublesome situations during that period of a project.
Download: Multiple Project Tracking Template
Make some diligent team members in charge of the risk register spreadsheet, share it on drive or cloud so that if changes appear, they reach immediately to the rest of the members. If your team is good at using this tool, it will notably show up in your project management and performance exceptionally.
Contents of your risk register template may vary according to the subjectivity of the project you are working on. But a few generalized ones are mentioned below;
- Firstly, you need to figure out the title of the risk.
- Then, add the description according to the title.
- Add probability of risk.
- Carefully look for the impact any risk can make to the performance.
- Next, add the possible severity and seriousness of any risk.
- Team members responsible for particular risks.
- Cost or timeline can be added for check and balance of requirement and demand (optional).
- Change in plan of action in respect to the above-mentioned details of the risk.
Risk Register Template IT
Frequent risk register assessment is very important, it will help you to pave your plan of action according to the score of risk occurring. Some common risks in a construction project are, unforeseen location conditions, short of supply, any injuries, also weather plays as a great risk in a construction project. It can drag your project timeline as well.
Get Also: Human Resource Management Plan Template
How to Conduct Risk Analysis through Excel Template?
Conducting risk analysis through an excel template is not as difficult as it looks. Here are some steps that you can follow to easily pull off this time-saving tool.
- The first step is to enter the data correctly in an excel spreadsheet. Design your spreadsheet by putting in the title, description, probability, impact, severity, and seriousness of a risk. Label your columns according to your set pattern in a risk register template.
- Then you need to opt for the chart style according to your suitability. The most commonly used chart style for a construction project is a scatter chart with markers.
- A blank chart will appear in a separate window. Now you need to synchronize the data by selecting your desired cells.
- Now you can edit the X and Y axis title according to the selected data. Also, label the point marked on the scatter chart for more clarity. By using this chart you can plot multiple scatter charts for comparison.
- Format your spreadsheet and scatter chart plot area in different colors for prominence.
Categorized of Risk Register Format
Following are some risk register format examples.
Strategic Financial Risk Register
There are many financial risk in project management that need to be monitored during all phases of the project. Following are some important examples of strategic financial risk.
- Liquidity risk
- Funding risk
- Interest rate risk
- Foreign exchange risk
- Commodity price risk
Operational Risk Register Template
Operational risk can be occur on any level of the organization, it can be occur on business unit level or department level or even labor or customer management level. Some of the most important operational risk register are
- Interruption on business
- Product failure
- Health and safety
- Supplier level risk
- Internal and external fraud risk
- Litigation risk
- Failure of server or IT system